- Fire Department
Join the Farmington Fire Department
Applications for firefighter recruit or lateral firefighter are accepted only when positions are available through the City of Farmington Human Resources website. This is the only time an application will be accepted.
Interested parties can leave their contact information to be notified when positions open. This information will be kept private and destroyed after six months. Information can be left at the FFD Job/career fair booth or by accessing the quick link on the right.
- How do I apply for the position of Firefighter with Farmington Fire Department?
Go to https://fmtn.applicantpro.com/jobs/ scroll down to Firefighter-Entry Level. Click on Firefighter-Entry Level, fill out an application and submit the application. Please contact Brooke Tomlinson if you have any questions. (505) 599-1134.
- What does the hiring process entail?
- The hiring process is comprised of a Firefighter entrance exam. Preparation material will be available for purchase; once you have applied you will receive additional information regarding where to purchase material.
- The Firefighter Combat Challenge course must be completed in less than 7 minutes. (Applicant must provide a doctor's release prior to taking the Firefighter Combat Challenge entrance exam.)
- Candidates must successfully pass interview panel(s).
- Pass an extensive background check.
- Pass a pre-employment physical and psychological examination.
- Pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Have a valid High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- What is the minimum and maximum age for applicants?
Applicants must be 18 years or older at the time of employment. The Farmington Fire Department does not have a maximum age limit.
- What should you bring to the written exam?
Please bring your medical release to participate in the combat challenge. A pencil and spare paper will be supplied to you. During the test backpack, food, drinks, calculators, family and friends will not be allowed.
- Will I know my score for the written exam the day of the test?
You must pass the written exam with a minimum score of 70% to move on to the physical ability test. One of the test proctors will inform you if you scored below a 70% on the written exam. There will be no chance to re-take the exam.
- Will there be a physical fitness assessment?
There will be a physical fitness assessment. The combat challenge or CPAT (candidate physical ability test) will be used as the physical fitness assessment.
- Is the physical fitness assessment difficult?
The physical fitness assessment is strenuous work but both assessments can be completed quickly. The physical fitness assessments utilized during the hiring process mimic tasks a Firefighter would complete on the fire ground. Firefighting can be strenuous work at times. It is important for candidates to have prepared physically for the challenge.
- What should you bring for the combat challenge/CPAT?
Please wear workout clothing. Must wear athletic pants, shirt and training shoes. Make sure to bring water, sunscreen, hat, glasses. We will provide you with an SCBA, jacket, gloves and helmet. Candidates will not be on air for this event. No admission of energy drinks and workout supplements prior to the physical fitness assessment.
- Is the combat challenge/CPAT pass/fail?
You must complete the combat challenge in 7 minutes. You must complete the cpat in 10 minutes and 20 seconds.
- Will I be drug tested prior to employment?
This position is subject to the City of Farmington's Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy which includes, pre-employment testing, post-accident testing, random testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return to duty testing, and follow-up testing.
- What is the hiring range?
Cadets will make $20.44/hour while in the academy. The pay range for Step 1 Firefighter starts at $44,580 annually and tops out at $62,712 annually.
- What benefits does the City of Farmington provide?
The City of Farmington offers:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- PERA Retirement/Deferred Compensation Plan
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave
- FMLA Family/Medical leave (offered once the employee has completed the probationary period)
- If I don't live in Farmington, NM or the surrounding area, should I still apply?
If you are interested in joining The Farmington Fire Department, you should apply. Candidates who live within 30 miles of City of Farmington City Hall at the time of hiring will receive 0.5 preference point. Proof of residency must be submitted for verification.
- Is this an entry level or lateral position?
This position is an entry level position.
- What is the schedule like?
Farmington Fire Department is made up of three separate shifts. Each shift works 48 hours on and 96 hours off. During the 48 hours on, the shift personnel are required to stay at the assigned station. Shift change happens at 0700.
- What does Farmington, New Mexico have to offer?
Farmington is a great place to live and play for outdoor lovers and active families. We think of our community as Nature’s Playground. Whether a hardened outdoorsman or a young family seeking to establish roots in a safe and affordable community. Farmington is the perfect place to jolt your outdoor journey. To ensure great outdoor recreation experiences, the City of Farmington is investing heavily in our recreation amenities and outdoor infrastructure.
- What are some outdoor activities offered in the area?
National Parks, hiking, biking, fishing, golf, off-roading, water sports, pickle ball and winter sports.
Learn more at Farmington, NM
- Will I have to attend a fire academy?
You will have to attend the San Juan College Fire Academy. It is a 4 month academy which you will be paid if you are offered a position. The tuition and materials for the academy will be covered by The City of Farmington.
- Do I have to be a licensed NM EMT-B?
All candidates must obtain New Mexico Emergency Medical Technician-Basic (EMT-B) certification within the first year of employment.
- How long does the probationary status last?
Probationary status lasts one year, starting from the date of hire.
- Will preference points be awarded to candidates?
Preference points will be awarded to candidates based on the highest level of formal education completed (0.5 point for an Associate's Degree, 1 point for a Bachelor's Degree, and 1.5 points for a Master's Degree or higher; based on a 100 point grading scale). Military preference point will be awarded to candidates based on submission of a qualifying DD214 (1 point, based on a 100 point grading scale). Preference points will be awarded to candidates based on current EMT licensure (0.5 point, based on a 100 point grading scale). Preference points will be awarded to those living within 30 miles of City of Farmington City Hall at time of the hiring process - proof of residency must be submitted for verification (0.5 point, based on a 100 point grading scale).
- Does the City of Farmington have an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action policy?
It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of the city not to unfairly discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap or disability, or status as a Vietnam era veteran or special disabled veteran with respect to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment. Further, it is the policy of the city to comply with the concepts and practices of affirmative action.