How Do I
Click to Home

Go To Search
Site Tools
What to do about a high bill?
You can call one of our customer service associates at: 505-599-1353, regarding a high utility bill for your home or business. Your electric/water usage histories will be reviewed. With your assistance, the cause(s) may be identified. If deemed necessary, a work order will be processed to send for a reread to verify the accuracy of the most recent meter reading on the contested bill. When a reading is determined to be in error, a corrected bill can be sent to replace the bill in error. Note that when a meter is over or under read, the next month’s correct reading will automatically compensate for the initial reading error since home and most business meters are never turned back to “0” (similar to your car odometer). If your reading is verified to have been read correctly, then staff will refer you to the utility’s energy auditor at: 505-599-1163. At no charge, the energy auditor can come to your home or business and help you determine where your electricity is going by inventorying your electric appliances and equipment and comparing his findings with your billed usage. By working together, the calculated electric usage from the audit inventory should be in the proximity of your billed usage. He will bring copies of your electric usage and billing histories for your files to examine patterns of seasonal usage. As an added tool for finding out if an appliance, (i.e. refrigerator, water bed,) is using too much power, an Energy Testing Meter can be left with the customer upon request to monitor its usage.

Electric Utility Customer Service

Show All Answers

1. What to do about a high bill?
2. What is the “Demand Charge”?
3. What is the Miscellaneous Charge on my bill?

City of Farmington
800 Municipal Drive
Farmington, NM 87401
Ph: 505-327-7701