The Traffic Engineer Division is responsible for the safe and efficient movement of traffic throughout the City. The division maintains and installs all traffic control devices within the City and administers the City’s street light program, which includes the following Traffic control devices: Pavement markings, signs, traffic signals, school zone speed limit flashers and warning beacon lights. The division also investigates traffic complaints, responds to citizen requests regarding traffic control and street lighting issues, works closely with police and others to ensure safe and efficient traffic flows, and monitors construction and maintenance in the roadway to insure all applicable traffic control laws and work zone safety guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions
May I purchase a traffic sign from the City?
• The City does not sell traffic control signs with the exception of Handicap Parking signage. Handicap signs are available from traffic engineering office at the Municipal Operations Center at 101 N. Browning Parkway. Contact Steve Krest at 505-599-8201 or Elvin Keeswood at 599-8214.
Who deals with traffic control at construction sites?
• All construction activity on City right of way is governed by construction permit codes. Contact Steve Krest at 599-8201 regarding the location of the potential problem.
Who repairs traffic signs and traffic signals?
• The City recognizes the critical safety considerations associated with traffic signs and traffic signals. Contact Steve Krest at 599-8201.
What does it take to get a left turn arrow installed?
• Left-hand turn indications are typically installed only after meeting warrants, which consider accident rate or traffic volume threshold measurements. The City routinely monitors traffic accident statistics and traffic volume at all signalized intersections.
What can be done about speeding on my street?
• Traffic Engineering will meet with the citizen and observe field conditions and existing signage and if condition warrant, traffic engineering will ask for increased police enforcement and/or install additional signage. Contact Steve Krest at 505-599-8201.
How can I get a block party permit?
• The City allows for temporary street closure for block parties or special events. To obtain a Street Closure Permit Application contact Steve Krest at 505-599-8201 or 599-1308.
How do I report a traffic signal light malfunction?
• A City signal technician will repair the bulb outage within 24 hours of notification. Contact Steve Krest at 599-8201.
How do I report a streetlight out?
• Contact the electric utility line department at 599-8330.
Where can I get a vehicle traffic volume count?
• The traffic-engineering administrator maintains a program or traffic counts at various locations throughout the City. Information regarding the most recent count can be found on the City of Farmington web site at Traffic Count Information or call Steve Krest at 599-8201.