Bring your outdoor recreation business idea to life!
A network of regional partners in Farmington are ready to help
“Find out what you like doing best, and get someone to pay you for it.”
You LOVE outdoor recreation, and you’ve always wanted to work for yourself. But you’re not quite sure how to marry your passion for outdoor recreation with your desire to be self-employed and create a successful business. Or perhaps fear of taking the leap has left you unmotivated. Here’s some food for thought that’s sure to get the ideas flowing and the motivation levels elevated.
OR’s Contribution to Healthy Economies
Outdoor recreation is an $887 billion industry! It creates 7.6 million American jobs and generates $65.3 billion in federal tax revenue. In New Mexico alone, it creates over 35,000 direct jobs and $623 million in tax revenue. It’s a “powerful economic sector” which brings in more annual consumer spending than the pharmaceutical, motor vehicle and household utility industries. If you’d like to see an in-depth breakdown of the OR industry’s contribution to healthy economies, check out the Outdoor Industry Association’s OR economic report.
Oh, the possibilities are endless!
So the numbers have your attention, but you’re not quite sure about a business idea. There are 10 main activities that make up the OR industry and several subcategories within each of those. And guess what? Most can be done here in Farmington (Nature’s Proving Ground) or within a short driving distance. Let’s take a look at those.
1. Camping (RV campsite, tent campsite, rustic lodge)
2. Fishing (recreational fly, recreational non-fly)
3. Hunting (shotgun, rifle, bow)
4. Motorcycling (on-road, off-road)
5. Off-roading (ATV, ROV, dune buggy, 4x4 and Jeeping)
6. Snow Sports (cross-country skiing, downhill skiing, Nordic skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, telemark skiing)
7. Trail Sports (day hiking on trail, backpacking, rock or ice climbing, running, horseback riding, mountaineering)
8. Water Sports (kayaking, rafting, canoeing, surfing, scuba diving, sailing, stand-up paddling, boating: cruising, sightseeing, wakeboarding, tubing, kneeboarding, waterskiing)
9. Wheel Sports (paved-road bicycling, off-road bicycling)
10. Wildlife Watching
Did this list get you thinking about a potential business idea? Great! Let’s turn that idea into action.
Bring your idea to life!
Now that you have an idea — or few — for an OR business you’re asking yourself, “What are the next steps?” This may be the spot where you get hung up on all the fears. That’s normal! Don’t let those fears hold you back. Famous and successful self-improvement guru, Dale Carnegie once said, “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy."
There’s nothing like a good motivational quote to, well, get you motivated!
Ready to take the next steps?
Great! The Outdoor Recreation Industry Initiative (ORII) can assess your entrepreneurial needs and connect you with a network of regional partners ready to help you launch your OR business. This includes things like loan assistance, business planning, incubator spaces, a makerspace and many more resources right here in Farmington.
Contact ORII Director Warren Unsicker today at 505-599-1116 OR firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your OR business idea.